News

14 tourist destinations shut after Pahalgam attack reopened in J&K


Date:- 17 Feb 2026


14 tourist destinations shut after Pahalgam attack reopened in J&K

14 tourist destinations shut after Pahalgam attack reopened in J&K

 

Days after Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in the Legislative Assembly stated that time has come to reopen tourist sites closed after Pahalgam attack last year, Lt Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday ordered reopening of 14 locations in Kashmir and Jammu region. In a statement, the LG stated that after a thorough security review and discussion, he ordered reopening of more tourist spots in Kashmir and Jammu divisions, which were temporarily closed as precautionary measures.

As many as 11 tourist spots in Kashmir division, including Yousmarg, Doodhpathri in Budgam, Dandipora Park in Kokernag, Peer Ki Gali, Dubjan and Padpawan in Shopian, Astanpora, Tulip Garden in Srinagar, Thajwas Glacier, Hung Park in Ganderbal and Wullar/ Watlab in Baramulla will be reopened immediately.

On the other hand, three tourist spots in Jammu division, including Devi Pindi in Reasi, Mahu Mangat in Ramban and Mughal Maidan in Kishtwar will also be reopened.

Three sites in Kashmir division — Gurez, Athwatoo, Bangus and one site in Jammu region —Ramkund in Ramban will be reopened once snow gets cleared.

On February 5, CM Omar Abdullah had stated in the Assembly that efforts were underway to reopen them and that the matter was being discussed with the Central government. He had said this ahead of Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s Jammu visit.

“I believe the time has come to reopen them (closed tourist sites). From the government’s side, discussions with the Government of India on this issue are ongoing. I assure the House that this issue will certainly be discussed with the Union Home Minister during his tour to the Union Territory,” Omar said while addressing the Legislative Assembly.

Omar holds the Tourism portfolio and was replying to a query during Question Hour.

Multiple tourist destinations were shut after terrorists shot dead 26 people in Pahalgam on April 22 last year. While over a dozen destinations were reopened in September, many continue to remain closed.

DISCLAIMER:                                                                                                                                                               

 The views expressed in the Article above are Author’s personal views and kashmiribhatta.in is not in any way responsible for the opinions expressed in the above article. The article belongs to its respective owner or owners and this site does not claim any right over it.

Courtesy: The Tribune -17-Feb-2026